- History and Mission
- Current Projects
- Spanish Lake Community Area Study
- Board of Directors
- Association Membership and Volunteer Opportunities
The Twillman House Community Garden sits on the grounds of the historic Twillman House in the unincorporated area of North St. Louis County known as Spanish Lake. The garden was started in 2005, but its history dates back to 1870. The Twillman House was the home of Henry Twillman, a German immigrant who built the home back in 1870 and raised 10 children there. The farm included 375 acres. Most of the suburban homes surrounding the area, along Bellefontaine and Redman Roads, were built on Twillman’s land. Twillman Elementary School on Bellefontaine Road is named after his family as well as Twillman Road and now, The Twillman House and Community Garden. The Twillman House is now listed on St. Louis County's list of Historic Landmarks.
The Spanish Lake Community Association bought The Twillman House back in 2005 with plans to use it as a headquarters for the association as well as a Community Center for residents of this unincorporated area. The 6,000 square-foot, two-story brick building, situated on six-tenths of an acre, had formerly been the Old Homestead Restaurant. It had actually been one restaurant or another since the 1940’s, but was vacant and in foreclosure when purchased by the association. Shortly after the purchase of the building, the vacant lot to the east of the parking lot was donated to the association. A perfect location for community gardens!
The Twillman House project and the Community Garden are both the successful result of hundreds of local volunteers, foundation grants, local unions and Gateway Greening. It proves what can be done when people put their minds together and care enough to give back to their community to make it better for everyone.
To volunteer, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Twillman House Community Gardens, please click here
|Raised plant bedsZ 003.jpg||49.23 KB|